Posts Tagged West Sussex
Six men and a woman have been arrested in the UK in a further crackdown by the authorities against illegal “boiler room” share selling operations.
The Financial Services Authority (FSA) said victims of the alleged fraud appeared to have lost £28m. The arrests were part of an attack on fraudsters involving authorities across Europe as well as the UK. The FSA said the arrests in the South of England were part of the biggest such operation it has yet conducted.
The seven were arrested in early morning raids on Wednesday on seven homes and one office in London, Hertfordshire, Surrey and West Sussex. FSA officers were helped by the Crown Prosecution Service, City of London Police and Hertfordshire Police.
The wider investigation has involved authorities in several European countries, including the Maltese anti-money laundering department. The problem of boiler rooms, many based overseas, is widespread. Participants tend to phone people directly to urge them to make worthless investments dressed up as attractive propositions. The FSA says it is told of about 500 new ones each year, although some may be the same outfits masquerading under new identities. The FSA recently revealed that it was contacted by about 3,000 boiler room victims each year, reporting an average loss of £20,000 each. But it says this is clearly the “the tip of the iceberg” and estimates that there are probably about 30,000 victims in the UK each year, with a collective loss of between £150m and £300m.
It has been reported that one ring leader Frank Tromper has absconded with several million pounds and is now in the South Pacific.
- New rules to keep your savings safe (confused.com)
- Warning to investors as land-banking scams top £200m (telegraph.co.uk)
- FSA warns of the dangers of boiler rooms and pension release schemes (compliancecircle.wordpress.com)
- FSA announces new mortgage lending rules (money.marksandspencer.com)
- The big mortgage debate (blogs.confused.com)
- MPs warn new financial regulator could have same flaws as FSA (telegraph.co.uk)
- FSA ‘can’t cope’ with living wills (independent.co.uk)
- CPP says FSA probe will impair profits (telegraph.co.uk)
- Heads should roll at Bank, Treasury and the FSA (telegraph.co.uk)
- FSA fails to use mystery shoppers (bbc.co.uk)
- The Digital Hit Man Now Available…
- Amazon Bestselling Hit Man Books
- Combined Print & E-Book Nonfiction
- Hot New Releases in Computer Security & Encryption
- The Digital Hit Man and His Weapons for Combating the Digital World, by Frank M. Ahearn. (Lying.FR) A privacy expert teaches how to create online deception to protect personal privacy.